RADIX: Digital Clutter Mitigation System (DCMS)
RADIX is a hardware based device which uses parallel assemblies of field-programmable gate arrays (FPGA) and takes advantage of their inherent high speed logic processing to enable fixed functions to be carried out on streams of radar data and correlate ASTERIX target categories with geographic features:
- Downstream of all radar processing (no interruption of service).
- Upstream of display processing.
- Based on small, individual, high-precision clutter cells.
- All SSR and Mode S target classes are unaffected.
- Primary only radar targets initiated outside the clutter zones are unaffected.
- Clutter targets (Primary radar only) initiated in the clutter zones are blocked.
- The existing display system receives a ‘new radar’ with CAA allocated site and country codes.